Wednesday, November 17, 2010

A Tour of Google Analytics:: Traffic Overview


I use Google Analytics to monitor blog and Web site traffic. Blogger is part of the Google network, which includes Google Analytics, a service that allows its users to analyze and understand Web data. If you have an account with Google, you have an account with Google Analytics.

In the event that you have an account with Google or Blogger, this may assist you!


This is the main page after you log in. (Now you know my numbers, which I like to keep private!) If I click DAY, WEEK, or YEAR (since MONTH is currently highlighted), the numbers will change to reflect my page views in the last 24 hours, seven days, or 365 days.

When I click VIEW REPORT in the second column, this is what I'll see:




Notice that the data is still per month, because that's what I had chosen on my dashboard, the previous page.

The left column will take you to data about your VISITORS, provide TRAFFIC SOURCES (which is the one I'm concerned about), CONTENT, and GOALS. (GOALS is something you set up yourself. I've never done anything with it, but you'd say you want visitors to stay longer, or visitors from other locations, and Analytics lets you know if you're achieving that GOAL or not.)

In the middle, you can see data at a glance for pageviews, number of visitors, where your visitors are from, and below, an overview of your traffic sources (that's the one I click on the most), and which pages are viewed:


If you choose to use a different publisher, fear not! Other software provides similar options.

If I click the pie chart under TRAFFIC SOURCES OVERVIEW or TRAFFIC SOURCES in the left column, I get this:


The graph provides numerical data, and a breakdown of that data is below. How users are finding the blog are at the bottom, and search terms are to the right. If I click VIEW FULL REPORT below TRAFFIC SOURCES a full list, including blogs and sites linking to my blog, search engines, and direct traffic, will be listed for me.

If I wanted to know where these users were located, I'd click VISITORS in the right column and get this:



From here, I can find out the language, location, and browser information of my visitor.

And there concludes our tour. Google Analytics does much more, and I'm sure with some exploring, you'll find more information in your hands than you could ever need.

No comments: