Thursday, October 23, 2014

Vocabulary Lesson: Spoopy

Have you noticed the word "spoopy" lately? In Twitter handles, or T-shirts?

I myself was flummoxed from this selection of shirts from Look Human:


Clearly the Internet was in on a joke and we had missed it. Many full moons ago, in 2009, Mike Woodridge found a mispelled Halloween decoration. He uploaded his photograph (below) on the Internet, and lo, the online community had a field day.

The Internet loves a mistake, and this was one. Thanks to my generation's general sense of humor, spoopy can sometimes be used to indicate that a thing or event is also amusing. Urban Dictionary calls spoopy, "Something that is funny and spooky at the same time."

I don't much care for deliberate misspellings, and I prefer for my autumn Halloween to include a degree of spookiness.

Additional Resources:
Spoopy, Know Your Meme
Spoopy, Urban Dictionary
Tumblr's new Hallowmeme is 'too spoopy to live, too creppy to die', The Daily Dot
 

No comments: