Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Technology Lesson: iChat Basics

I use iChat at work (these screenshots are from home!), and one of my co-workers mentioned that she knows Facebook chat, but is less familiar with instant messaging systems. She's technologically able, but it had never occurred to me that a seemingly newer technology would be better known! (I suppose a Facebook chat lesson is in order, too!)

So without further adieu, here are some basic tips for using iChat.

iChat is an instant messaging service, much like AIM (AOL Instant Messenger) or ICQ. iChat is pre-loaded on all Mac machines and was developed for Mas OS X. Click here for more information.



This is me, logged offline. I've clicked the small triangle next to OFFLINE. If I click AVAILABLE, I'll be asked to sign in to the service. (The program is currently set to use Jabber, which is connected to iChat.)


And here I am, having logged in through AIM, which you can also use. I recently linked my GChat and Facebook chat accounts to AIM, so you can see those groups listed here.


I can add a buddy to my list by clicking the plus sign at the bottom of the Buddy List.


I can chat with a new person by double-clicking my buddy's name in my buddy list OR by clicking FILE and NEW CHAT... at the top of the screen.


From there, I enter my buddy's name and click CHAT.

I can log off by quitting the program OR clicking the arrow on my buddy list and choosing OFFLINE.

Additional Information:
iChat

No comments: