Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Guest Post: Smart Phones

Look Kids, Grandpa Got a Smartphone: When New Gadgets Attract Old People

Most of us aren't lured in by the world of technology. At our age, we like to keep things simple and stick with what we know. Of course, some of the different products that come out today could be useful to us, but that's only if we are willing to overcome the technology gap and learn how to use them. There are plenty of practical applications and uses for iPods, cell phones, and laptops for active adults in their retirement. After all, you can load your mp3 player with songs to enjoy while you take your morning walk, use your smart phone to manage your investments or navigate on your road trip, and use a laptop to keep in touch with friends and family members no matter where you are in the world. 

I don't like change any more than the next person, and the last thing that I thought I needed was some gadget that did more than I knew how to make it do. So, needless to say, when my son suggested that I get a 'normal' cell phone (not the prepaid dinosaur I'd been paying to use for years now), I hesitated initially. Eventually, I decided to buck up and go look at these devices and see what I could find. The girl at the store was really helpful, showing me all the different features of the phones and how I can use them. And I ended up getting a really great deal on a phone. When I took it to show my family, they were a bit shocked.

I chose a smartphone. Why, you ask? Well, quite frankly, it makes it easier for me to go and do things and find things to do. I can track my exercise, schedule my training appointments, find golf clubs when I'm traveling, keep in touch with my family and friends, and so much more. There's a huge learning curve for these things, but after a few weeks of fiddling around, I think I've finally got it all figured out. Sure, I like the simple things in life but the complexities of this phone actually made my life simpler and easier to manage. You can bet I'm enjoying my retirement even more, thanks to technology. 

Contributed by Mary Albert, a blogger for a senior lifestyle Wweb site that provides advice for the 55+ age group as well as medical alert reviews.

1 comment:

Medical Alert said...

Excellent and encouraging article. Seniors shouldn't be weary to embrace technology. I know that some places like Apple stores even offer free tutorial sessions that anyone can sign up for. Thank you for posting.