Monday, October 19, 2009

Vocabulary Lesson: Web Jargon and Internet Slang (Abbreviations)

The Web has given way to a short-handed language. A language of abbreviations and capital letters to express emotions, thoughts, and feelings. In this world of abbreviated communication, what do they mean?

Here's a list of acronyms and abbreviations:

AFK Away From Keyboard (This is more common in chat and gameplay.)
B/C Because
BBL Be Back Later
BFN Bye For Now
BRB Be Right Back
DWT Driving While Texting
FWIW For What It's Worth
GTFO Get The [Expletive] Out
GTH Go To Hell
IAWTC I Agree With This Comment
ICWYDT, OICWYDT Oh, I See What You Did There
IDK I Don't Know
IKWYM I Know What You Mean
ILY I Love You
IM Instant Message
IMHO In My Humble Opinion
J/K, JK Just Kidding
JSYK Just So You Know
LMAO Laugh My Ass Off
LOL Laugh Out Loud
NM Nothing Much
NP No Problem
NSFW Not Safe For Work
OMG
Oh My God
OP Original Poster
O RLY Oh, Really? (This is often accompanied by a photograph of a Snowy Owl.)
OT Off Topic
PLS, PLZ Please
POS Piece of [Expletive]
PPL People
QT Cutie
ROFL Rolling On the Floor Laughing
STFU Shut The [Expletive] Up
TBH To Be Honest
TIA Thanks In Advance
TNX
, THNX Thanks
TOS Terms Of Service
TTYL Talk To You Later
TTFN Ta Ta For Now
W/E Whatever
WTF What The [Expletive]
WYSIWYG What You See Is What You Get

Additional Resources:
Internet Slang wiki article
25 Slang Terms Parents Should Know, NoSlang.com (I thought the list was both hilarious and informative!)

No comments: